Saturday, February 27, 2010

Training your spirit man

2 Cor 5:17
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

As a new born babe you need to grow. One of my spiritual mentors Papa Hagin, has taught widely on training your spirit and inevitably have learnt a lot from Dr Goodwill Shana on the same subject. We need to train our spirit as the primary way we are led off course after God’s word is the inward witness or the communication we get from our spirit man. How are we sure that we are born again? The Spirit of the Lord testifies with our spirit

Rom 8:16
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Prov 20:27 The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly.
Ps 16:7 I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.

This means you need to train your spirit to be able to receive communication from the Holy Spirit. The Lord will enlighten your spirit (the spirit of man is the candle of the Lord). You remember the scripture that says He will light my lamp and He will enlighten my darkness

Ps 18:28 For thou wilt light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness.

Unless you train your spirit to hear what the Holy Spirit is saying you will remain unskilled in the word of righteousness. The same way growth is expected in a new born babe, we aught to grow our ability to hear from the Spirit of the Lord thereby train our spirit man. The more I look into this matter the more there is to say and learn from.

Skilled by the WORD OF GOD
The number one way to skill our spirit man is the Word of God
Ps 119:105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Heb 4:12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

• The Word is the light to my path
• The Word divides asunder the soul and spirit

This means our spirit man is enlightened by the Word. I marvel at times when I need to resolve something the Word comes up from my spirit. We are more than conquerors - I remember when I was praying concerning my wife to be at the time we were not talking at all, the best I ever had as a communication was ‘Hi sister Joyce, we enjoy your worship ministry’ but I liked her deeply. I went to the Lord to ask whether she was the one to be Mrs. Nyamayaro. As I sought the guidance and direction of the Lord, my lamp was lightened my spirit brought up Phil 4:13. The lord said the desires you have are godly by beaming up that scripture in my spirit. You see the Word does not only give light, it also separates the spirit from the soul. You never ask the dumb question, ‘Is it me of is it God?’ Have you ever been in a crisis and when you pay attention to your spirit you discover there is a scriptural song – songs like, ‘Have you heard what the Lord has done, He has destroyed the yoke of Satan or Oh Lord you are awesome or Victory is mine today’ I have noticed in my walk with the Lord that this is always the case the Lord lightens my lamp by His Word. At one time we went to pray for someone and the word in my spirit was ‘I have given you authority to tremble with snakes and scorpions’ at that time I knew we had to cast some devils and destroy the work of the enemy.

Skilled by Prayer in the spirit
1 Cor 14:14-15 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

You know why you are encouraged to pray in the spirit, so that you build up yourself in your most Holy faith (Jude 20). It’s like a spiritual gym; you are building up yourself, exercising, like lifting spiritual weights and thereby skilling your spirit man. It’s interesting how when you crystallize this study you get more and more revelation, I love my God. Prayer in the spirit exercises your spirit man to use Jude’s words, it builds us up!

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Another part of prayer I have enjoyed in my life, is when the spirit man is aided in prayer in a higher measure by the Holy Spirit. I mean Holy Spirit filled prayer. According to Romans the two limitations of not knowing what to pray for and how we aught to pray is eliminated by the presence and assistance of the Holy Spirit in prayer. Take note of the difference between Spirit filled prayer and when one’s spirit prays. Have you ever been praying in tongues your usual tongues (your spirit praying) and suddenly your tongues change its like there is an inspiration and usually for me great boldness or a vivid sense of emotion, I will explain. (Holy Spirit Prayer). When you pray for Dinner, Is that Holy Spirit Filled? There is an energy, an expression of emotion, an inspiration when we pray in the Holy Spirit. I remember that whenever I would pray for my young brother (My young brother is in Australia on studies currently), there would be weeping and that sense of intercession that requires repentance. It occurred more than five times if I remember well, It would be like groaning like the need to express something but with great remorse and need for God. I did not know at all what he was going through but I trusted the Lord to intervene in his situation. At times I would end up laughing or rejoicing after prayer so I knew the Lord was on our side. Later, reports started coming in that my brother was not living right. I knew we had delt with it so there was no need for me to be moved. Later, Allen, my young brother became so hungry for God that my wife and I will just look at the messages and laugh and say HEY THANK GOD for the Holy Ghost.
Sometimes the inspiration comes to one as prophecy. For me during prayer, it’s like there is a knowing what was being prayed for or what is being prayed for. It’s like a declaration, sometime last year in March, I saw my pastor and one of our deacon’s having a discussion about me. I did not hear what they were saying but I knew what it was about. I began to speak concerning the instruction I had known they were going to give me, I heard myself say that assignment is mine and I will do my best in it because I am wired for it. Later that week on Friday the pastor called me and gave me that assignment. Looks like we diverting from our topic but hey that’s how we skill the spirit man IN PRAYER and SPIRIT FILLED PRAYER

Skilled by exercise
Heb 5:14 But strong meat belonged to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

By reason of use – the more you practice the better you become.

1 Tim 4:7-8But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness. For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

We aught to train our spirit man. The more we are conscious of our spirit man and exercise to hear what he is saying the more victorious we can ever become. Sometimes we do not pay attention to our spirit and inevitably are led by our senses. I think we will conclude this topic on training the soul and the body.

1 comment: